Thursday, November 11, 2010

FINALLY! Someone Hired Me!

So, if you follow my life via the Interwebs at all, you already know my big news. And by the Interwebs of course I mean Facebook updates, tweets and twoots, and LinkedIn. And of course, if you're following my tweets, you know by now it's all a blatant ploy to bring you back to the Rainbow chronicles. That, and to quote Seinfeld, apparently.

WHAT IN THE HELL WAS I ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT?

Oh, right. My big news!

This Tuesday, I started a job. A job that does not require I ask: "chips, fries, or veggies?" A job that is not, in fact, really just an unpaid internship. (For more on that dreadful experience, revisit this post, I implore you.) I am officially an associate writer for Groupon, which, go figure, is apparently the fastest growing company, ever. (Forbes said it, so it's gotta be true.)

You can get a really good sense of the company from the Forbes article, so I'll just fill you in on a couple other highlights not mentioned in said article:

1. The number of computers/humans on the 6th floor is both terrifying and awesome. And that's comparing it to the editorial department, where I am, which is home to at least a couple hundred.
2. There is a never-ending supply of coffee, tea, and cocoa (fuck yeah! cocoa!) everywhere you turn. And Keurig coffee makers, which I'd never actually used, or in fact seen, in real life. Plus, today, I discovered free Diet Dr. Pepper and Gatorade. FREE. I'm going to be so fucking productive! (I might still be on a caffeine high.)
3. Everyone I've met so far is talented, smart, and friendly. And most of them are funny. No joke. It's like Wonderland for a geek like me.
I'll leave you with that. It's awesome. I've only been there three days, and I've already been writing, a lot.

When I found out I'd been hired last week, I was so overwhelmed and thrilled, I didn't know what to do with myself. It was the middle of the day, and I was alone, cause, you know, most other adults were at work. I couldn't stop grinning. I may or may not have told my cats the news.


Basically, if you've read much of this blog at all, or have had more than one conversation with me in the last two and a half years, you know how big of a deal this is for me. So, for all of you who have listened to me whine about waiting tables, or my unpaid internship, or my overdrawn bank account, or my failed interviews, or how I had to move back home cause I was so broke (holy crap I whine a lot), may I just say, THANK YOU.

I would not have survived these last couple years without all the support I've had from my family, friends, my main squeeze, and random Rainbow groupies whom I've never even met. That's not to say these last couple years haven't also been fucking awesome. Seriously. I have fun. Even if I'm just sitting in front of my computer, blogging about bees.

All I can really say is, thank you, everybody. (Falettinme Be Mice Elf Agin.)



And think of it this way: If I'd never been desperate for a writing platform and a reason to sit at my computer for hours at a time, and if I didn't feel so many goddamn feelings, I never would have started chasing the end of my rainbow.

You're welcome. Crap. I mean, thanks again. 

hugs and kisses,

Alison(composes)

4 comments:

  1. We're so happy you're so happy. (If only you were ALSO a musical theater snob and knew that I was actually just SINGING that. Into the Woods. Sondheim. What.)

    Can't wait to hear more about that free Diet Coke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison,

    I don't know you and you don't know me, but I stumbled across your blog through your comment on David Sax's NY Times article on tipping (the wonders of the interwebs), and then read a bit more since you were kind enough and brave enough to share so many stories from you life. I got the waiting-tables-sucks / reality bites vibe pretty clearly, and clicked on the top to see what you were up to more recently and saw this, so I wanted to send a little good karma through the interwebs and congratulate you. Groupon's an amazing entrepreneurial story, and humor writing has been one of the keys to its success.

    So congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! this blog makes me happy and excited at the same time. I was totally alone with my cat's making cinnamon rolls on like a tuesday when i found out i got hired. No more wing nights!!! I am excited to work with you (sorta.) let's be friends a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. to be clear... i am not "sort of" excited to work with you. i am completely excited but know we are only "sort of" working together.

    phew. good talk.

    ReplyDelete