Monday, February 16, 2009

A Whipplescrumptious delight

So this is where the BFG was born. I love it. Monday just got so much better.

If you want to really geek out over Roald Dahl, his official website is pretty sweet, too. And if you’ve never dabbled in his adult fiction, go read some immediately. “Taste” and “The Landlady” are two of the best short stories I’ve ever read. In college, I really enjoyed one-upping my fellow English majors by mentioning these stories after they talked about the wonders of Hemingway’s “Hills like White Elephants.” We get it! The characters are talking about an abortion! You’re not that clever for figuring this out!

Of course, that conversation would quickly turn into a super geeked out conversation about how many times we read James and the Giant Peach and Matilda as kids. And sure, maybe this scenario only actually happened one time. But you better believe I mentally one-upped my classmates many times with my superior knowledge of Roald Dahl.

side note: Where the hell is my copy of The BFG?
side note 2: I need a writing hut. Preferably in an English garden.

(Hat tip to Jay for this site, but from here on out I claim everything cool as my own find!)

1 comment: