Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday Mix Tapes: In Misery Park

If the new The xx song isn't perfection, then I don't know what is.



Separate or combine
I ask you one last time
Did I hold you too tight?
Did I not let enough light in?


It captures all the reasons why I fell for The xx—the beats, both of their voices, and how they're so lovely, separate and combined. Just like this song.

We used to be closer than this, we used to be closer than this...

And then it's just over. 2 minutes and 45 seconds. And then it's just over.

It's not enough, so I listen to it again.

The same thing happens to me with this new Twin Shadow song, "Run My Heart":



He keeps saying he's not in love, but I'm not sure if I believe him or not. What do you think?

I know I like to get all teenage girl over my music, but fuck! The chorus! The refrain! And these verses:

You want to meet me out in the dark
You want to meet in misery park
By the moon , so low and lovely
With the gloom that's above me

You couldn't know what makes me dream
And I couldn't wear the things I've seen
Like the shake, the trembling fiends
Like ache of unused wings


Then there's this live session, plus this handwritten letter penned by George Lewis Jr., via Yours Truly:



Replay.

No comments:

Post a Comment