Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Poetry Slam Tuesdays: Do You See the Point?

Revisiting For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf by Ntozake Shange yet again.

An excerpt, told by the Lady in Yellow:

i've lost it
touch wit reality/i dont know who's doin it
i thot i waz but i waz so stupid i waz able to be hurt
& that's not real/not anymore/i shd be immune/if i'm
still alive & that's what i waz discussin/how i am still
alive & my dependency on other livin beins for love
i survive on intimacy & tomorrow/that's all i've got goin
& the music waz like smack & you knew abt that
& still refused my dance waz not enuf/ & it waz all i had
but bein alive & bein a woman & bein colored is a metaphysical
dilemma/i havent conquered yet/do you see the point
my spirit is too ancient to understand the separation of
soul & gender/my love is too delicate to have thrown
back on my face

No comments:

Post a Comment